This fruit is a super food with many health benefits.
- Its vitamin (A, C, E, B-complex & K) and mineral (potassium, copper, calcium, magnesium, manganese and zinc) content make the humble guava a powerhouse of nutrients.
- The copper in guavas helps to maintain a healthy thyroid gland.
- This fruit is loaded with vitamin C (five times more than oranges!!!) which is required to prevent scurvy and to produce collagen, a substance that keeps the skin supple, smooth and wrinkle-free!!
- It contains high amounts of lycopene (vitamin A) which helps to protect against cancers (esp of the lung and oral cavity), macular degeneration, cardiovascular disease, different forms of bone degeneration like osteopenia and osteoporosis, and changes in skin structure. Tomatoes are known for their lycopene content…but guavas have twice the amount of this nutrient!!
- It has antioxidants which boost the immune system and protect the body against harmful infections.
- These antioxidants also help to prevent cancers of the skin, lung, breast, prostate gland and large intestine.
- Since they have a high fiber and pectin content, they aid in laxative action and prevent constipation.
- Their soluble fiber content also stabilizes blood sugars.
- They are a good source of potassium and help normalize blood pressure.
Guavas enhance the taste of smoothies, sorbets, fruit salads and juices but they are best eaten in their natural form…raw and crunchy or ripe, sweet and creamy. Remember that they are quick to lose their vitamin C content, so eat them as soon as they are cut. As for the vitamin C content of guava jams, jellies etc…sorry, not much left there as this vitamin is not stable in the presence of heat.
Stay blessed with good health .…always !!!