If you have read our blog on guavas and liked it, you will be intrigued to learn that the leaves of this fruit also have health benefits. If you have a guava tree in your building compound or garden…lucky you !!!
- The leaves contain polyphenols, tannins, carotenoids and flavonoids like quercetin which help treat various ailments.
- Since the leaves are rich in anti-oxidants, they prevent and repair cellular damage and may help in decreasing the risk of age-related ailments.
- They are highly recommended to stop nose bleeds…just crush a leaf in the palm of your hands and inhale.
- Fresh guava leaves are a natural pain reliever as they contain anti-inflammatory agents.
- They also help to cleanse the liver.
- Being a good source of dietary fibre, they help relieve constipation.
- To improve digestion, soothe the gastric lining and to relieve nausea, diarrhea and vomiting boil 10 guava leaves (or 2 tsp guava leaf powder) in 2 liters of water. Add a few slivers of ginger and drink this decoction through the day.
- Gargle with the same decoction to relieve tooth aches, heal bleeding gums, oral ulcers and sore throats….due to the anti-bacterial effect of guava leaves.
- Guava leaf tea inhibits the growth of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria…the primary cause of diarrhea.
- Make a paste of 1- 2 guava leaves and a pinch of turmeric and apply on facial skin that is prone to acne…leave until it dries, then wash off with cold water.
- Guava leaf paste will also enhance healing when applied on wounds and sores.
- Guava leaf tea can help lower blood sugar levels because it reduces alpha-glycosidase enzyme activity in diabetics….and inhibits the absorption of dietary sugars like maltose and sucrose.
- It also helps lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels…without decreasing the level of heart friendly HDL cholesterol.
- Guava leaf tea can also help lower blood pressure.
Steep a few fresh guava leaves in boiling hot water for 4 to 5 minutes to make a refreshing brew. Guava leaf supplements in the form of teas, capsules and guava leaf powder are now available albeit at few ayurvedic stores…but their availability will soon increase as the market for these increases.
Avoid if pregnant or breastfeeding.
Stay blessed with good health .…always !!!